The Importance of Choosing an NSO for VA Claims

09 Nov

There are lots of veterans service organizations who have National Service Officers who are trained to assist veterans with their VA claims.  The VFW, the DAV (Disabled American Veterans), the PVA (Paralyzed Veterans of America).  And depending on your disability there may be one better for you.  If you or your loved one has a spinal cord injury or illness (Multiple Sclerosis, ALS, etc) then the PVA should be your service organization of choice.

And here is how I know this, for my husbands latest claim we used an NSO from the DAV.  My husband was bumped from 90% with unemployability to 100% with Aid and Attendance and several SMC’s.  His legs were rated at 20% and 40% and that was a bit ridiculous considering he can barely stand and walk.  However he was only bumped up to 40% for both legs.  Our NSO from the DAV told us that there was no need to appeal that rating as there was no difference in payment between 40% and 80% which is more like it.  So we listened to him.

Then we went to an appointment at the SCI Unit at the VA and we met with an NSO from the PVA – they specialize in helping those with spinal cord injuries with their claims.  Unlike our DAV Rep, our PVA Rep tells us that if my husband’s legs were rated 50% or higher that he would INDEED get paid more.  He also is going back through the claim to see if there are any other things that need to be reviewed and appealed..

So choose your NSO carefully it does make a difference!

Leave a comment

Posted by on November 9, 2015 in Caregiving


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: